By Lex Heerma van Voss
This e-book appears to be like at petitions over the past 5 centuries to reconstruct the lives and reviews of "humble" petitioners. when you consider that Pharaonic occasions, governments have allowed their matters to voice evaluations within the kind of petitions, that have demanded a prefer or the redressment of an injustice. To be potent, a petition needed to point out the request, frequently a motivation and consistently the identify or names of the petitioners. therefore, grievances of normal humans that have been now not written down at any place else at the moment are saved adequately within the data of the professionals to which the petitions have been addressed. The petitions thought of during this publication, which come from all around the globe, provide wealthy and important assets for social historians.
Read or Download Petitions in Social History (International Review of Social History Supplements) PDF
Best europe books
The 1st campaign (1096-1099) was once a unprecedented project. as the repercussions of that day trip have rippled on down the centuries, there was a tremendous literature at the topic. but, in contrast to such a lot of different parts of medieval historical past, earlier the 1st campaign has didn't allure the eye of historians attracted to social dynamics.
Finland has occupied the political, non secular, cultural and monetary border among japanese and western Europe considering that prehistoric instances. regardless of its peripheral position, the rustic has chanced on itself within the mainstream of advancements that created sleek Europe, equivalent to nationalism, international wars, industrialization, and the present political and fiscal integration.
This publication appears to be like at petitions during the last 5 centuries to reconstruct the lives and reviews of "humble" petitioners. when you consider that Pharaonic occasions, governments have allowed their matters to voice critiques within the type of petitions, that have demanded a prefer or the redressment of an injustice. To be potent, a petition needed to point out the request, frequently a motivation and continually the identify or names of the petitioners.
The Finnish Civil struggle 1918 deals a wealthy account of the heritage and reminiscence of the quick clash among socialist Reds and non-socialist Whites within the iciness and spring of 1918. It additionally strains the legacy of the bloody battle in Finnish society till this present day. the amount brings jointly proven scholarship of political and social historical past with more recent techniques stemming from the cultural historical past of conflict, reminiscence reviews, gender reports, heritage of feelings, psychohistory and oral historical past.
- A City in war: American views on Barcelona and the Spanish Civil War, 1936-39
- Mikhail, Prince of Chernigov (Studies and Texts)
- The Transformation of Vernacular Expression in Early Modern Arts
- The Ashgate Research Companion to the Thirty Years’ War
Additional resources for Petitions in Social History (International Review of Social History Supplements)
In early seventeenth-century Frankfurt, the widow Clara Timpel complained about her delinquent son Henry, and supplicated the council to exile him, or send him to jail for at least three years at her cost. The council fulfilled the request. Henry immediately petitioned to be sent on the military campaign against the Ottoman Empire, and promised not to disturb his mother or the city of Frankfurt for three years. 76 Obviously, the Timpel family made use of state institutions to solve their educational problem.
122. Wurgler, "Desideria", pp. 197-198. 123. g. the request of Gudensberg in Hesse to remove the gunpowder depot: the gravamina in StAM 73 no. 140, Bd. 2, no. 26a. (18 October 1785); the supplication in StAM Protokolle 2, Kassel Cc 6 Bd. 2a, no. 73/150 (17 March 1786). 124. Wiirgler, "Desideria", p. 171. 32 Andreas Wurgler ing state action. The numbers, recipients, contents, and resolutions of supplications may reveal channels of power. 126 VOICES FROM AMONG THE MASSES? CONCLUSIONS The specific quality of petitions as sources lies in the combination of a large social spectrum of authors with highly spontaneous and voluntary production.
90. 1, nos 49-52 (1S7J —1577); StAF BMB 1712/1713, fo. 12 (31 Mai 1712). 91. Johannes Weber, "'Unterthenige Supplication Johann Caroli / Buchtruckers'. Der Beginn gedruckter politischer Wochenzeitungen im Jahr 1605", Arcbiv fiir Geschichte des Buchivesens, 38 (1992), 257-265. 92. Kiich, "Visitation", p. 206 (1 July 1514) and p. 211 (4 July 1514). 93. Blickle, "Laufen gen Hof", pp. 265-266. Cf. Hoffmann, "AuGergerichtliche Verfahren". 94. Garnot, "Justice", pp. 104, n o . 95. Schwerhoff, "Aktenkundig", pp.
Petitions in Social History (International Review of Social History Supplements) by Lex Heerma van Voss